Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Crockpot Chili

My husband says I make the best chili he's ever had.  I don't know I'm going to go that far but I will say it's pretty good.  We like to make it a lot through the fall and winter.  It's just the perfect meal for cold weather. Here's how I make it.

Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground sausage
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 large onion- chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 clove garlic- minced
1 bay leaf
Sour cream- garnish
Cheddar cheese-garnish

Directions
1. Brown your meat.  I mix both the ground turkey and ground sausage and brown in large skillet together. Throw in some crushed black pepper.

2. While your meat browns open your cans of tomatoes.  Empty cans into crockpot, juice and all.  Open and rinse your beans under cold water, then add to crock pot.

3. Dice your onion.  I like to follow how Pioneer Woman says to chop an onion.  It's really easy!  Now add into crock pot.


4. Measure and add your seasoning.  I sometimes add jalapeño or crushed red pepper.  Sometimes paprika.  Add whatever you like according to the level of spice your family enjoys.

5. Add your browned meat to the crockpot and stir.  Cover and cook on warm for 4-6 hours or high  for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.

6.  Serve with your favorite chili side and garnish.  We enjoy sour cream and cheese and a good crusty bread on the side.  It's best followed by a slice of pumpkin pie in the fall, but we're not always so lucky.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment